[mrtg] Strange Behaviour

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Thu Feb 28 13:27:53 MET 2002

I raised a point recently concerning strange data logging behaviour under
mrtg 2.9.17 which produces major spikes on the graphs.  Unfortunately I
experienced a re-occurence of this last night and therefore have the
opportunity to present some evidence for comment.....

An access-list controlling SNMP access was incorrectly modified yesterday
blocking MRTG from polling our Cisco devices, therefore all the counters in
the log file for this period were recorded as zero.  This situation
continued for approx. 18 hours.  However when this was recognised and the
access-list corrected, the log files for all our targets recorded major
traffic spikes.

Snip of logfile attached: -

1014887921 377696051 1096368766
1014887921 1071 1282 1071 1282
1014887623 1692271 4914737 3850078 11182043
1014887400 0 0 0 0
1014887100 0 0 0 0
1014886800 0 0 0 0
1014886500 0 0 0 0
1014886200 0 0 0 0

Is this the expected behaviour of MRTG?   Can it be avoided? Thanks in
advance for any help.
This message contains information intended only for named recipients.
If you have received this message in error, please delete it from your
system and notify the sender immediately by e-mail.
Information transmission via email cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
error-free. The sender does not accept liability for errors or omissions in
the contents of this message arising as a result of e-mail transmission
problems.