[mrtg] ping probe questions

Curtis Kline ckline at housing.ucsb.edu
Wed Jan 2 19:40:18 MET 2002

Please forgive me if these questions have already been answered on this
list, I have been unable to find them in the archives.

With regard to the current version of ping probe, I have a couple
questions:

1.  What is graphed on the blue line vs. the green shaded area?  The
values are wildly different, but I can't seem to determine what each
represents.

2.  I am trying to graph packet loss between my mrtg host and some cable
modems a couple hops away. When I continuously ping one of the modems
from the Linux shell on the mrtg host I get 0% packet loss over about a
5 minute period. However, ping probe reports 35% loss average on the
green shaded area and 6% loss average on the blue line.  In some cases,
my max loss on the green shaded area is 101%.. that seems unlikely.

Can anyone provide some clue as to why this might be the case?

Thanks in advance,
Curtis

ckline at housing.ucsb.edu