[mrtg] Serial Line Traffic Analysis

Hans van Beek hans.van.beek at BETONSON.com
Mon Jan 14 11:01:29 MET 2002

Hi List,

Last week a strange thing occured in the mrtg traffic graphics of a serial
line.
I measure the traffic of the serial interface of both routers. I'll give a
brief description of how everything is connected.

MRTG-polling station --- ethernet --- Router A --- serial line --- Router B

Router A is a Cisco 4700 and Router B is a Cisco 2500. (Both no fair
queueing and compress stac) It's a 256 kb/s serial line.
I copied a large amount of data from site A to site B and mrtg shows the
data going out of the serial interface (router A) at almost full capacity of
the serial line.
But the incoming data of the serial interface (router B) is less according
to mrtg and even less traffic is coming in after a period of time.
Does anybody have any idea what the cause of this behaviour is?
I've included both graphs.

 <<routerA.jpg>>  <<routerB.jpg>>

Hans van Beek
Betonson B.V.