[mrtg] Re: Cisco interface numbers

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Wed Jan 16 15:29:23 MET 2002

Heath,

I don't about how good ifindex persist is.  We only use it on a few routers that change often.  For everything else, I just use the regular interface.
You could try one of the other ones...

--ifref=nr        interface references by Interface Number (default)
 --ifref=ip                         ... by Ip Address
 --ifref=eth                        ... by Ethernet Number
 --ifref=descr                      ... by Interface Description
 --ifref=name                       ... by Interface Name
 --ifref=type                       ... by Interface Type

As for the second item...

It is very easy to move old data to new configs - if you move the .log or .rrd
file before you have new data.  Just rename it to what the new Target will be called.  If I notice a problem, I usually generate a new config, compare it
to the existing one, adjust the data files accordingly, then replace the
existing config with the new config.  The whole operation takes about 2 minutes.
But, putting on my sysadmin hat, I should probably take the time to write a script to do all that for me automatically!

Paul

>>> Heath Deschenes <HDeschenes at oakley.com> 01/15/02 11:41AM >>>
Is this (ifindex persist) the best method of keeping the interfaces from
rearranging when a new card is added/removed and the router is rebooted? and
does it use much resources? I tried using the options listed and I keep
getting errors stating that --iref=name (also tried by type, IP, and eth) is
not unique for this interface.

Also, is there a way to save data from an old config to apply it to a newly
created config after the interfaces have changed for the purpose of keeping
history information?

Thank you,
Heath