[mrtg] Re: Number of SNMP elements per MRTG Box

Perry, Duane PerryD at missouri.edu
Sat Jan 19 00:17:17 MET 2002

 I have two server class Dell boxes with dual processors and SCSI drives,
they are polling about 5000 interfaces each.  I am using RRD but I am
starting to notice the response from the web server getting slower as I add
more interfaces.  I did some experiments today and if you build a config
file with just the Target lines it runs faster that calling all of the
individual cfg files.  I still use the small cfg files with 14all.cgi to
display the interfaces by box but use the big "Target" file for polling.  I
use Forks: 4 to speed things up and I started using  ::1:2 on the end of
each Target line to change the default SNMP timeout from 2 seconds to 1
second and the retries from 5 to 2.  I suspect that much of the polling time
is waiting for slow or dead boxes to respond.  I would guess that once your
polling takes longer than 5 minutes the processor would never catch up.

Duane Perry
University of Missouri