[mrtg] Re: Spikes

Graham King gpking at kingston.ac.uk
Mon Jan 21 17:20:17 MET 2002

I too get spikes sometimes when a device, monitored by MRTG using RRD,
has
been rebooted.

Am I right in thinking that any interface can show spikes when the
monitored
Device is reset, because the traffic counts will start again at zero and
MRTG just thinks there's been a lot of traffic and the counters have
wrapped round? If the resulting difference is less than MAXBYTES the you
get a spurious spike on the graph. If so, it would be nice to have an
option that ignores data readings where this reading is less than the
previous one, or maybe check the devices uptime?

Graham King
Kingston University
UK