[mrtg] MIB-2 Cisco bug?

Yannis Nikolopoulos yanodd at otenet.gr
Wed Jan 23 20:37:38 MET 2002

I'm using MRTG to poll 100+ Cisco routers and I've been getting
some errors from the moment I decided to use IP address in the
target definition. I think I've brought this up about a year ago
but got no comments from the list so I thought I'd give it another
try :)

there's a sample error:

SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 2 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.19)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "xxxxxxxx" [xxx.xxx.x.xxx].161)
                  community: "xxxxxxxxxx"
                 request ID: 1645825856
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 3
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/local/mrtg-n/bin/../lib/mrtg2/SNMP_util.pm line 450
SNMPGET Problem for ipAdEntIfIndex.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ifInOctets.19 ipAdEntIfIndex.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ifOutOctets.19 sysUptime sysName on public at xxxxxxxx:::3
 at /usr/local/mrtg-n/bin/mrtg line 1485
WARNING: could not match&get xxxxxxxx:::3/ifInOctets for IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ok, noSuchName means that the instance (i.e. the interface) I'm trying
to poll does not exist. Sure enough, the IP address is correct and belongs
to the correct interface BUT when I check that interface :
"snmpwalk router ipAdEntIfIndex"
I realise that ipAdEntIfIndex carries the WRONG value for that interface
so I get the above error message. I get about 40 of these in about
20 different Cisco routers. The way I understand it is that ipAdEntIfIndex
does not get properly "updated" ... any ideas anyone?

cheers,

Yannis

--
Yannis Nikolopoulos             OTEnet S.A. Internet Service Provider
yanodd at otenet.gr                Tel: +30 10 3826199