[mrtg] Re: peaks!!!

Paul C. Williamson pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Jan 28 16:22:48 MET 2002

So, you are saying you have no idea why your network graphs
are peaking?  Have you looked at the devices connected to the
device you are graphing to find out what may be causing it?
MRTG does not make things up.  It just reports on what the device
gives back to it.  Is it possible the counters are wrapping most of the
time, but the peaks are when they do not wrap?  I had that happen
to me, then I switched over to SNMPv2c and things started graphing
normally.

Paul

>>> "Shahira Rasmy" <shahira at nile-online.net> 01/28/02 10:12AM >>>
Dear All,
i asked before for something to solve the problem on the sudden peaks occuring in the mrtg graphs,,

The suggested solution was using a perl code called killspike.pl,,,

But unfortunately,this code can't solve the problem as it needs a specified input value to limit the whole values 2 it if the exceeded this threshold..

But,that's not what i need,,i need something to solve peaks problem that occur within the logical range of traffic,,,i.e. sometimes the mrtg give a very small reading followed by a very large peak (within the normal range),then the following values return very small which is completely unlogic...

Do u have any suggestions or even explanation to this event??

Thanks,

Shahira