[mrtg] Monitoring Disk and CPU on Solaris from Windows box

Anup Sharma asharma at ceiss.org
Mon Jan 28 21:27:57 MET 2002

Hello everyone,

I am currently monitoring all our Compaq servers running W2K or NT through
MRTG. I downloaded both Microsoft and  Compaq Mibs for these. I use getif
and SNMPUTIL to query the OIDS and do the Walks.

I am now faced with the dilema of monitoring disk, cpu and memory usage on
some of our Sun Solaris servers. I am so far only been successful in
monitoring traffic from MRTG for these. I did download the SUN Mibs for
these, but however they do not contain any such OID for the OIDs don't work
at all. I know SNMPd is installed on these SUN boxes because, I can query
basic info such as "SysDesc" and "SysContact" etc.

I have gone through this list, and have found that some people are using
perl scripts to monitor these Sun boxes, however most of these scripts
require modifications to be done on the SUN server itself (eg to inetd.conf
files).

Is there anyone who has been able to monitor SUN boxes with MRTG running on
Windows boxes, can anyone please help me with this or point me in this
direction ? Can we monitor disk,cpu and memory on Sun Boxes without having
physical or telnet access to these boxes ?

TIA

Anup Sharma