[mrtg] Re: WithPeak in Daily Graphs - Is daily a valid option?

Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt glratt at rice.edu
Thu Jan 31 14:03:44 MET 2002

Off the cuff, my understanding of it is this:

	- MRTG gets a value periodically (every five minutes by default);

	- MRTG keeps a database (again, by default) of:

		- some number of 5-minute sampling values;
		- some number of 30-minute average values;
		- some number of 2-hour average values;
		- some number of 1-day average values;

	- MRTG calculates the average values as:

                (sum of sampled values)
                    ------------
               (number of sampled values)

	, but it also keeps the maximum sampled value (N.B. there are four
	values throught an MRTG logfile, not two - see also doc of logfile
	format);

	- it seems to me, that with a maximum granularity of the sampling
	interval, the added value of graphing a maximum value is somewhere
	between small and none. It would also be misleading, tending to
	imply greater sample granularity than actually is the case. I
	would bet that it's a deliberate MRTG design choice not to graph
	the maximum values on the Daily graph.

		-g

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Cliff wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> The MRTG Docs seem to indicate that WithPeak[_]
> doesn't apply to the daily graph. Just the y,m,w graphs.
>
> However, I find y,m,w,d in the WithPeak statements that
> I find in example configs. WithPeak[_]: y,m,w,d
> is even in the squid config that I got from the squid
> website. Are these references to the daily graph
> really in error or perhaps I have something else askew?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --

				Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt
				Rice University Network Management