[mrtg] Re: MRTG math expressions: SQRT and POWER2

Markus Fischer mfischer at guru.josefine.at
Tue Jul 2 11:18:26 MEST 2002

    Hi,

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:14:18AM +0300, Patrick De Muynck wrote :
> I would like to graph standard deviaton based
> on SNMP variables that represent mean and
> mean square...
>
> Does MRTG support the necessary mathematic
> operations? (that is, POWER2 and SQRT)
> Does anybody know the syntax for these
> operations?

    mrtg doesn't know anything about math (at least, from the
    user side to alter it ;). To my knowledge you have two
    mrtg with the right values (mean / mean square) by means of a
    externel script you call via your snmpd which does the calc.

    Or you could use rrdtool which can take stored data from and
    rrd and do some math post-processing in rpn (but you've to
    read the tuts and docs to get what this is about).

    - Markus