[mrtg] Re: Question about monitoring laserjet printers

Clemson, Chris Chris.Clemson at softwareag.co.uk
Mon Jul 8 14:43:36 MEST 2002

> > aha. yes, that appears to work.
> > weird. those names are defined in the mib file, so I had
> thought > it
> would work.
>
> It's not as weird as you think:
> To graph data from several targets in one graph, the target
> line has to
> contain mathemetical operators.
> Up to now I never encounterd oid-names with "-", "+" etc. inside them.
> If you realy want to use the name you have to use quotes around the
> name. However I don't know how MRTG will treat these....

oh right!
I might have to use that in future, as mapping the name back to the OID isnt
exactly easy when browsing the .mib file (without using another program like
solarwinds).
that explains it then :)

> > oh, I see. I was thinking it would treat it as a counter.
>
> If you want to treat the numbers as a counter use the "gauge"
> option....

ah, I thought it was the other way around!

> Just use both for a while, and decide what you like best.

will do!

--
The content of this e-mail is confidential, may contain privileged material
and is intended solely for the recipient(s) named above. If you receive this

Software AG (UK) Limited
Registered in England & Wales 1310740
Registered Office: Hudson House, Hudson Way,
Pride Park, Derby DE24 8HS