[mrtg] Alert on No Response

jrb JeffWorking at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 07:20:39 MEST 2002

Hi everyone.

I have a question that I thought would be common, but only shows up in the
archive a couple times with no responses.  What I'd like to do is call a
shell script when a device fails to respond to MRTG.

I'm fairly new to Linux and MRTG, so there may be an obvious way to do this
that I'm missing.  My first thought was to test the MRTG result code, but it
seems to return 0 even if the device fails to respond (I think this is
because I'm actually seeing the PERL result, which was successful).

I also considered doing this outside of MRTG by writing a shell script to
ping the device every 5 minutes and report failures, but this won't account
for times when the ping succeeds and MRTG still fails to get a response.

Any suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.

-jrb