[mrtg] Re: Alert on No Response

Steve Nichols steven at viclink.com
Tue Jul 16 11:36:48 MEST 2002

If you query the html file directly, grep for the total bw used
Create 2 files
One to grep the bw used
One to report if the result is 0.

Add it to your crontab

We do this with bash scripts and perl.

Or grep the log file ( whatever.yourserver.com_xx.log)
If the results are all 0 have it send you a distress email or page your
cell or write it to a new log file.

We do both every 5 minutes.
Very effective.

You can also use the first one to monitor bandwidth, if it is to high,
email you. If it is to low, email you, etc....

Steven Nichols
Network and Systems Administrator
Internet and NOC Manager

                   VALLEY INTERNET COMPANY
                1709 NE 27th Street, Suite C
                  McMinnville, Oregon 97128
           503-565-5030 or 800-909-9078 (toll-free)
     "Pay no attention to the folks behind the curtain..."
   PGP: www.viclink.com/~steven/steven.nichols.pgp.txt