[mrtg] Re: OpenBSD and GD

Andre andrec at emailco.co.za
Thu Jul 18 19:12:58 MEST 2002

Try this

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/unix-guide.html

----

LIBRARY COMPILATION
In this section I will give you step by step instructions on how to compile
the various libraries required for the compilation of mrtg. Note that these
libaries may already be installed if you have a *BSD or Linux system so that
you can skip recompiling them. The wget program used below is a simple web
downloader you can also enter the address into your netscape if you don't
have wget available.

First let's create a directory for the compilation. Note that this may
already exist on your system. No problem just use it.

 mkdir -p /usr/local/src
 cd /usr/local/src
If you do not have zlib installed:

 wget http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib-1.1.4.tar.gz
 gunzip -c zlib.tar.gz | tar xf -
 mv zlib-?.?.?/ zlib
 cd zlib
 ./configure
 make
 cd ..
If you don't have libpng installed

 wget http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-1.0.12.tar.gz
 gunzip -c libpng-*.tar.gz |tar xf -
 rm libpng-*.tar.gz
 mv libpng-* libpng
 cd libpng
 make -f scripts/makefile.std CC=gcc ZLIBLIB=../zlib ZLIBINC=../zlib
 rm *.so.* *.so
 cd ..
And now you can compile gd

 wget http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/gd-1.8.3.tar.gz
 gunzip -c gd-1.8.3.tar.gz |tar xf -
 mv gd-1.8.3 gd
 cd gd
The \ characters at the end of the following lines mean that all the
following material should actually be written on a single line.

 make INCLUDEDIRS="-I. -I../zlib -I../libpng" \
      LIBDIRS="-L../zlib -L. -L../libpng" \
      LIBS="-lgd -lpng -lz -lm"
 cd ..

----

MRTG COMPILATION
Ok now everything is ready for the mrtg compilation.

 cd /usr/local/src
 gunzip -c mrtg-2.9.21.tar.gz | tar xvf -
 cd mrtg-2.9.21
If all the libraries have been preinstalled on your system you can configure
mrtg by doing a simple:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2
Otherwise you may have to give some hints on where to find the various
libraries required to compile mrtg:

 ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mrtg-2       \
             --with-gd=/usr/local/src/gd      \
             --with-z=/usr/local/src/zlib     \
             --with-png=/usr/local/src/libpng
If you have RRDtool available you might want to tell mrtg about it so that
you can opt to use rrdtool with mrtg. Check the mrtg-rrd manpage.

Configure will make sure your environment is fit for building mrtg. If it
finds a problem, it will tell you so and it will also tell you what todo
about it. If everything is OK, you will end up with a custom Makefile for
your system. Now type:

 make
This builds the rateup binary and edits all the perl pathnames in the
scripts. You can now install mrtg by typing

 make install   (requires gnu install)
All the software required by MRTG is now installed under in the
/usr/local/mrtg-2 subdirectory.

You can now safely delete the libraries we compiled above. But then again
you might want to keep them around so that you have them available when
compiling the next version of mrtg.

----