[mrtg] Re: Help

Carl Friedberg friedberg at exs.esb.com
Tue Jul 23 04:52:05 MEST 2002

Hi Jim,

It's really easy. Here's an example of how I run a script in windows (you are on windows?) to generate the cfg file -- and it's all in the install instructions:

(1) make sure you know the Operator level SNMP password (default is probably public, I don't remember)

(2) use this script: (I call mine cfgmaker.cmd)(it's all one line)

perl cfgmaker public at 10.1.2.2 public at 10.1.2.35 public at procurve2.urge.net   --global "WorkDir: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\mrtg" --output mrtg.cfg

Just put this in the ...\bin\ directory, cd there in a cmd/dos box, and run that .cmd; you'll get the needed mrtg.cfg file. Add one line if you need the RUNASDAEMON thing -- I run it as a service in w2k and it works like a champ.

Read the w2k/wnt install docs (in html), that is really well written and clear.

If you are on a different platform, please specify which.

Carl