[mrtg] Re: MRTG flatline at 43MB

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Wed Jul 24 22:00:31 MEST 2002

> We are using mrtg to monitor our upstream DS3's
> Have noticed that MTRG flatlines at 43Mb/s
> Anyone have the same issues?
>

> We have 4 ds3's riding on an OC12 and all falatline @ 43-44Mb.
> They never graph the full 45

It sounds like you're polling a CBR counter on an ATM switch.
Because it's CBR (constant bit rate) you'll see just that, the
constant bit rate of your DS3. I ran into this problem when I
tried to get some E1 and T1 stats off of a Marconi (Fore)
ASX-1000 ATM switch. The only option I could come up with was
to find a different place to poll the link from. In my case
the physical connectivity was:

mainframeFEP--(V35)--CSU--(T1)--ATMSWITCH--(OC3)--ATMSWITCH--(T1)--CSU--(V35)--mainframeFEP

So my next step was to try to get the stats off of the CSUs
but that showed the same thing as the ATM switch. An Adtran
tech explained to me that the CSU counters were counting "T1
idle bits" in addition to the real T1 traffic. Since my
IBM3745-FEP is definitely not snmp pollable I gave up. :(