[mrtg] Re: Scripts for graphing broadcasts , crc errors etc o n a switch

Ullampuzha Mana, Divakaran (GEAE, GTS India) Divakaran.UllampuzhaMana at ae.ge.com
Tue Jul 30 15:27:40 MEST 2002

Hi,
 Thanks for that . I used the mib OID's for Broadcast and unicast packets
and plotted them.
I could see that the values were getting added in the log file. I also could
see the graph was being plotted.
But at the bottom of the graph, it still says

	Max  In: 982.3 kB/s   Average  In: 564.6 kB/s   Current  In: 982.3
kB/s
	Max  Out: 1588.7 kB/s   Average  Out: 913.3 kB/s   Current  Out:
1588.7 kB/s
 How do i make it say Max Broadcast : 982.3 kB etc ?

regards
Divakaran

-----Original Message-----
From: Brander, Eric [mailto:Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 5:59 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: Scripts for graphing broadcasts , crc errors etc on
a switch

You need to find the OID that pulls that data from the device you are
monitoring.  Knowing Perl is not necessary.  Use a utility like GetIf and
browse for what you are looking for.
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14 and 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.20 are in and out errors
respectively for most devices (I think).  Throw those in a config file and
see if you get any data back.

I just threw this together... it will need some changes.  For instance, the
options here are for a gauge, so you will get a chart that shows total
numbers of errors.  Take that out and you'll get errors/second instead (I
think).  You'll also need to play with the legend to get it to look right.
Use the other config files for examples of that.  ALSO, notice I added a .1
to the end of the OID.  That's the number of the interface.  Change that to
the correct number for the port you are monitoring.  BUT, know that not all
devices number their ports as simply as 1, 2, 3, etc... use configmaker to
make a basic config for your device and find the port numbers. (for
instance, I have one device with a port number of 62849, with target that
looks like this: Target[192.168.1.1_62849]: 62849:public at 192.168.1.1: )

Your mileage may vary.  Not a seasoned vet with MRTG yet, so some of my
advice may be off a little, but I think it will point you in the right
direction.

MaxBytes[192.168.1.1_errors]: 1000000
Options[192.168.1.1_errors]: growright, gauge, nopercent
Title[192.168.1.1_errors]: Errors
Target[192.168.1.1_errors]:
1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.14.1&1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.20.1:public at 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps.

Eric