[mrtg] Re: Forking MRTG

Garry Cook Garry.Cook at mactec.com
Tue Jun 4 05:50:53 MEST 2002

What I've done to combat this issue is to break my network up into regions. Each region has a separate MRTG daemon that calls a regional config file. The regional config file contains all of the global config commands, an include line for each device, and 'n' forks, 'n' being equal to the number of devices. With one fork for each device, it seems to work much better, but I believe that the issue still occurs (luckily, I have not had to test this theory recently).
I also edited my crontab to check for all 7 daemons at five minute intervals and restart if necessary. If cron has to restart a process, it emails me to let me know.

Tobi, it sounds as if you plan to implement the skipping of queries to known dead hosts. Would this include some type of notification to let users know that a problem was encountered?

-garry