[mrtg] Re: MRTG without SNMP

Yannis Nikolopoulos yanodd at otenet.gr
Tue Jun 4 18:38:44 MEST 2002

what you can do is one of the following :

a. if you're on a *nix based platform you can write a small expect
script that will do the data collection on the router (every 5 mins for example).
Then you can store the output on a text file and feed that to the MRTG conf file.

b. on any platform, you can write a perl script tha will open a socket to
to the router, get the bytes in/out, store the output to a file as before etc...

As far as IP Monitoring goes, Ciscoworks has as IP Monitoring tool
but I believe it uses SNMP (and its very expensive also :)

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 05:23:47PM +0100, Carlos Vieira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use MRTG to monitor my network IN/OUT
> throught the router.
> But i can't because my router does not have SNMP
> implemented. Can i use some IP monitoring to do this.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> 	Carlos Vieira
>
> --

Yannis Nikolopoulos             OTEnet S.A. Internet Service Provider
yanodd at otenet.gr                Tel: +30 10 3826199