[mrtg] provisioning question for a new MRTG server

Diana Eichert deeiche at freeshell.org
Wed Jun 5 21:59:15 MEST 2002

I've been running several MRTG servers against several hundred Cisco network devices
for a number of years, monitoring selected ports on Catalyst due to the sheer
number of ports on the Cats.  We have almost eliminated all hubs in our network
environment.

Management has recently gotten behind the use of modeling tools to plan for
future network upgrades.  One of these tools can use real MRTG data to build the
model.  They'd like to monitor all the Catalyst ports, over 10,000 right now, so
when an enduser group comes in requesting a faster connection we will have longterm
historical data to assist in planning.  Now we're looking at monitoring a much
greater number of ports.

I've looked for documentation on sizing MRTG w/RRDTOOL on the web but haven't come
up with anything, so far.  I believe that the largest limitation is disk IO because
you have to read in, then write out each rrd file.

Opinions based on real experience is appreciated.  Pointers to URLs where this has
discussed before is welcome also.

thanks

diana eichert