[mrtg] Re: provisioning question for a new MRTG server

Diana Eichert deeiche at freeshell.org
Wed Jun 5 23:43:05 MEST 2002

Greg

This is the type of info I was looking for.  Right now on my old PIII 800MHz system
it takes ~ 12 minutes to poll ~10,000 ports.  I also keep the cfgs broken up by
network device.

BTW, that was 10,000 active ports, off hand if I included all our ports, whether up
or down, the number would probably double.  This may actually occur because there is
conversation about turning on all ports on the Cat's, putting the unused one in an
unrouted LAN.  This would allow someone to move into an office, connect system to
wall jack, using DHCP they'd end up with an IP in the private LAN, goto registration
website to get routable IP.  Once registered the VLAN info would be updated on the
switch within X minutes and voila they'd be on the net.

When this occurs obviously everything is going to be admin up, sigh.

thanks

diana