[mrtg] Re: provisioning question for a new MRTG server

Jon Heugh jon at heugh.com
Thu Jun 6 19:11:15 MEST 2002

I have MRTG on a SUN 420R with 2 processors and 4GB of RAM.
I monitor around 420 routers for a total of 4826 Interfaces.
I spawn a MRTG process for each router.
When I had these cron'ed for 5 min the box would spike to a load of 20 and
would be unreliable.
I was forced to cron them at 10 min intervals.  Now the load will spike to
about 8 at times.
I was expecting more out of our SUN box, but hey, nothing that another 50K
cant cure.