[mrtg] Re: Config File Size

Justin Shore listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Tue Jun 18 17:23:46 MEST 2002

I tend to no break my cfgs because of size.  I break them up to
organize them.  Some times I organize by device, building, campus,
city, or phone exchange.  I haven't yet hit a resource limit that
would compell me to do things differently.  Something that I do
embrace is server side includes to eliminate repetitive HTML or text
in my cfgs.  I use a menu-based navigation system.  Rather than put
the source into the config for each and every target (did that once),
I use a SSI to save resources.  You can also run mrtg as a daemon to
cut back on the resources needed to parse those configs at each
running.  I don't do this given my existing setup.  I suppose I could
run multiple instances of the daemon.  Perhaps I could break things
down further by host, network device, and other (that represent the 3
main directories (WorkDir) of dynamic content on my stats sites) and
run 3 daemons.  Soon I'll make the move to RRDTool in a few
installations.  I haven't yet developed a plan for my layout then
though.  Not generating images would be a good way to conserver
resources.

HTH
  Justin

Justin Shore, ES-SS ES-SSR      Pittsburg State University
Network & Systems Manager       Kelce 157Q
Office of Information Systems   Pittsburg, KS 66762
Voice: (620) 235-4606           Fax: (620) 235-4545
http://www.pittstate.edu/ois/

Warning:  This message has been quadruple Rot13'ed for your protection.