[mrtg] Re: Config File Size

awatthey at mmm.com awatthey at mmm.com
Tue Jun 18 18:18:47 MEST 2002

David,

My experiences are on NT4.

I monitor several hundred interfaces (and other things) and I find one
config file per destination IP address is easier to handle.  This way I
have the configs in different directories (under a source directory) and
the results go to different directories as well (under a result
directory).  I often use the same name for an interface on different
routers (eg WAN) and MRTG doesn't like duplicates.

I use MRTGSVC to call a command file every 5 minutes and he cycles through
all the directories calling MRTG for each config.

Seems to work well enough.  The Apache web server is quite happy scrolling
through all the result sub-directories giving me the graphs I choose to
see.  I don't use indexmaker.

I have still to play with RRDTOOL but it's on my list.

Alan.

"CHENG, DAVID (PB)" <dc4983 at sbc.com>
18/06/2002 16:02