[mrtg] Re: Interval

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Tue Jun 18 19:57:16 MEST 2002

> >> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 08:12:06AM -0400, Jim Coulter wrote:
> >> If I want to make MRTG poll my router more frequently than
> >> every 5 minutes, how do I do that ?
> >

> > There is patch code at http://www.loplop.net/projects/1minMRTG/
> > to make mrtg do 60 second polling. It can be run against 2.9.17,
> > but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this is going to be merged into an official
> > mrtg release?
>
> Seems like the Interval directive of the configuration file will do what
> you want it to do.

Last time I checked (v2.9.17) the minimum interval, without the
patch was five minutes.

A quick peek at the v2.9.18 (6/7/2002) config reference reveals that
this is no longer the case:

"Note, that unless you are using rrdtool you can not set Interval to less
than 5 minutes. If you are using rrdtool you can set interval down to 1
Minute. Note though, setting the Interval for an rrdtool/mrtg setup will
influence the initial creation of the database. If you change the
interval later, all existing databases will remain at the resolution
they were initially created with."