[mrtg] Scanling issue: Not quite gauge or absolute

Christopher Poetzel cpoetzel at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri Mar 1 16:28:55 MET 2002

quesiong for the group.

i am monitoring carrier transitions on our T1 links.
If we see any we see a few a day.

at 1:00 the oid variable for carrier transisions is 10
at 1:05 '	'	'	'	'	'   11.

So we have seen 1 in the last 5 minute polling cycle.  The
default behaviour of mrtg is subtract the newest value(11) from
the previous (10) and divide by the polling interval (300 sec)

1/300 =  very small number of carrier transactions per sec.

If i use the gauge option, it treats the value as a static value
and graphs it.  So my graph would look constantly like an increasing
slope.

if i use the absolute option (This is for counter type data sources which
reset their value when they are read) it will take the current value,
say 11 and divide it by 300.

So, What i am looking for is to get the current value of carrier
transactions (11) - last value of carrier transitions (10) and
graph that without dividing it.  So i want to see how many
car trans i had in the last 5 minutes. Not the car trans pre second.

The only possilbe work around i have thought of is to somehow
multiply the value by 300 so that when mrtg tries to divide
by 300 it would balance the scale.

MRTG 2.9.16
RRDTool 1.0.33
14all.cgi