[mrtg] How mrtg works ?

Giuliano Cardozo Medalha giuliano at usp.br
Fri Mar 8 05:59:16 MET 2002

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of stats graphs using MRTG.
I have some daults abou how it woks, when I use the cfgmaker script:
First - What object ID (OID), the cfgmaker script uses on a default
configuration like this:
./cfgmaker    router.dns.domain    community    >   ../confs/router.cfg
./mrtg   .../confs/router.cfg
The router can be a lot of interfaces: including aal5, frame relay pvc,
serial, ethernet, fast ethernet
How the script manipulates each type of interface ?
It uses some kind of standart OID MIB ?
This dault occurs to me because this script can be used for any kind of
router (different enterprises) !!!

Another thing is that we found a document on cisco that explains how to
get traffic analisys for frama relay circuits:

htpp://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/snmp/snmp-indx.html
 (how to of snmp)

We did the config and try to compare with MRTG.

Wen we compared the two values (one of then for 1 sec and the other form
mrtg) they are very different

Could you explain it for me

Its very important for us, since we are using MRTG for years and we
trust a lot on this tool

Thank you very much

Giuliano
Centro de Computacao Eletronica