[mrtg] Re: How mrtg works ?

Roth, Gabrielle gabrielle.roth at xo.com
Thu Mar 7 22:57:12 MET 2002

Well, dang.  I was sure this was in a FAQ or the docs somewhere but I can't
find it right now.

By default, mrtg monitors ifInOctets and ifOutOctets from the IF-MIB.

> The router can be a lot of interfaces: including aal5, frame
> relay pvc, serial, ethernet, fast ethernet
> How the script manipulates each type of interface ?
> It uses some kind of standart OID MIB ?

IF-MIB.
http://www.icir.org/fenner/mibs/mib-index.html
http://www.icir.org/fenner/mibs/mib-index.html#IF-MIB

> Another thing is that we found a document on cisco that
> explains how to
> get traffic analisys for frama relay circuits:

(link corrected)
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/snmp-indx.html
>  (how to of snmp)
>
> We did the config and try to compare with MRTG.
>
> Wen we compared the two values (one of then for 1 sec and the
> other form mrtg) they are very different

Different how?  If you were comparing a raw counter value with mrtg, yes,
they are going to be different.  The two are not really comparable.

-gabrielle
"Gravity:  It's not just a good idea, it's the law."