[mrtg] Re: How much bandwith mrtg takes? Heavy trafic :-)

Hunt, Chris cjhunt at lehman.COM
Mon Mar 18 11:31:25 MET 2002

Paul,

These European guys often mislead us with the way in which they write
decimal fractions. They may use a comma to express decimal point, so this is
actually 3.4 and 4.1 respectively (to 1 dp). First glance says 3.4 kb/S.....

Regards,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: PAUL WILLIAMSON [mailto:pwilliamson at mandtbank.com]
Sent: 18 March 2002 10:19
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch; zorrosky at supereva.it
Subject: [mrtg] Re: How much bandwith mrtg takes? Heavy trafic :-)

Nice work.  Although I don't think it adds up.  I've
got links that do far less than 425 bytes/s, so while
mathematically this makes sense, the real world
doesn't support the data derived.

Paul

>>> <zorrosky at supereva.it> 03/18/02 05:13 AM >>>

This message is for all people that need precise results about bandwidth
usage of mrtg queries.
Everybody know ( may know after reading manuals and much of contributor's
papers ) that a standard mrtg query is made by 4 snmpget:
sysName,sysUptime,ifInOctetcs,ifOutOctets.
So the mrtg server sends a 128 Byte frame to the destination. It answers
with a 155 Byte frame.One mrtg standard every five minutes takes:

(128*8)/300 = 3,413 bit/sec for requests
(155*8)/300 = 4,133 bit/sec for answers

Cheers

Compra e vendi su eBay.
http://www.supereva.it/cgi-bin/rd.cgi?ebay_c