[mrtg] Monitoring DoD interfaces

Don Harvie don.harvie at usa.net
Mon Mar 18 14:47:26 MET 2002

Hi All,

I'm monitoring a dial on demand PPP interface under linux. Everything is
OK 'cept when the link is down. Since I run mrtg from cron I get the
error output mailed to root (or an alias) by crond.  I've scanned the
MRTG reference looking to see if there is a way I can get it to ignore
the PPP interface when the MIB entry for if3 isn't there. But nothing
looks like it's going to do the job. FWIW PPPD isn't running all the
time since it's a 'dial out only' interface.

I don't particularly want to direct all of the mrtg output to /dev/null
either since there may be something occurring somewhere else that I want
to see mailed to me.

I could also set up a new CFG file for this I/F only and when it's run
by cron just /dev/null the stdout. (This is looking like the next best
option).

Has anyone encountered something similar and come up with a more elegant
solution?

Any and all ideas gratefully received.

--
Thanks,