[mrtg] Re: MRTG polling at 1 minute intervals

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Mar 19 13:34:27 MET 2002

If you look here:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/unix-guide.html

And go to Running MRTG, it makes mention of a 5 minute
default.

And here:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/CHANGES

There is a quote from as far back as 2.3 or so:

Added configurable Step[] to allow for shorter base
periods different from 5 Minutes ... But beware, this
is NOT supported ... and its likely that you will run
into problems ...

Granted, there is nothing that spells out a 5 minute
minimum, but it's there.  Maybe Alex could add it to
his FAQ.  You can run MRTG less often than 5 minutes
and get good results, but not more often without some
major hacking.

Paul

>>> "Reed Mohn, Anders" <Anders.Reed.Mohn at itcompagniet.no> 03/19/02 04:59 AM >>>

Sorry, Alex, but I don't see that ...

Below are the FAQ's I can pick,
when I go to  http://faq.mrtg.org/FAQ.html.
None of these titles indicate any
connection to the 5-minute limit.

And where, in TFM do I find anything about it?

Cheers,
Anders :)

How does this SNMP stuff work?
How can I graph the CPU on linux?
How can I add other targets?
How to graph ... Where to get OID ... Can MRTG graph ...
The averages are getting lower on the weekly/monthly/yearly graph. <snip>
I receive kilobytes, not bytes ... (updated)
When should I use the kilo option?
Okay, I installed, now what's next ...
How do I show the CIR in my graph with a red line ...

What is this rrdtool people are talking about?
MRTG seems to insist of always producing 2 graphs. Is it possible to get
only one graph?
I didn't understand when to use gauge/abslute?
How can I monitor <whatever>?
What is the meaning of the numbers in the log file?
What is Incoming and what is Outgoing?
Can I graph more than two...
OID and instances...

My statistics seem to display way too low values?
My graphs look strange, I get a flat line, no variation
Why aren't my images updating?
ERROR: Can't locate BER.pm in @INC (@INC contains: .....)
ERROR: Expected an INTEGER for 'out' but got
ERROR: Several errors occur when MRTG is run from cron. Nothing is wrong
when it is run from the command line
SNMP ERROR: no response received
SNMP ERROR: no such name
Annoying popups when running on WinNT