[mrtg] Re: Catalyst 2600

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Mar 19 14:01:12 MET 2002

Comments in line...

> Here is my wish list for values on a Catalyst 2600,
>
>  any one have the oid's for the following?
>
> processor utilization

The 2600 does not rely on the processor to switch packets, therefore
the processor utilization has little or no ongoing value. I don't
believe an OID is actually provided by Cisco on this box.

> memory (volatile) utilization

Same as processor utilization. Switches do not buffer packets in memory,
therefore memory utiliztion is of little or no value. Packet buffering
on a layer-two box is basically done at the chip level, and then only
very small numbers (typically one to four packets maximum).

> uptime
> total bandwidth utilization

You'll need to add up all the utilization values for each port.

> total errors

Same, add up all errors for each of the ports.

> errors by type (collisions, runts, giants)

You'll need to activate and poll the RMON OID's for each catagory.

> bandwith by protocol (ip, ipsec, arp, routing (rip/eigrp/bgp))

Layer-two switches do not look past the MAC headers (for all practical
purposes), therefore there are no OID's for the layer-three keywords
that you've used above.

> ip bandwidth by service (mail, web, ftp, telnet, other)

Same as above, its a layer-two box not a layer-three or above. The
switch is not aware of services passing through it.

On "any" layer-two box, the key performance indicators are Discarded
Packets (inbound and outbound) and Error Packets (inbound and outbound)
for each port. "If" the ports are operating in full-duplex mode, you
don't even care about utilization; each port can run at a full 100%
without impacting end-to-end performance as long as there are no
discarded packets.

If a port is operating in half-duplex mode, then packet errors are
likely to actually be collisions, and you'll need to poll the basic
RMON OIDs to determine if those are actually errors, collisions, out
of spec ethernet, etc.

Rich