[mrtg] Re: snmpget Problem

robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz
Tue Mar 26 00:24:25 MET 2002

First thing you need to do is to confirm if snmp is working in general. I
find the easiest way is by walking the 'system' oids (.1.3.6.1.2.1.1). I
usually try referencing the OID by name (to prove that the MIBs are being
referenced) and if that fails, by OID. If this doesnt work, then you have a
basic 'snmp just isnt working' problem. I think you mentioned that this is
working, but I cant remember.

The only time I have ever seen this happen is when there is 3rd-party
software which uses SNMP, such as Compaq's Insight Agents etc. Would suggest
stopping the SNMP service, and then only restarting SNMP. Leave all the
other services that stopped at the same time alone and test with just SNMP
running.

Next, what snmp utility are you using to do the queries?? I would suggest
SNMPUTIL from the resource kit, as I know that can read the Win2k MIBs. Is
this server running the same service pack as the ones that work?? Has this
one had a new network card installed etc?? Have you reapplied the SP??

Compare the modifydate/version/bytesize of the system32/hostmib.dll and
system32/hostmib.mib as these two are the files that seem to specifically
handle th .25 oid. If you are going to recopy from another server, then stop
the snmp service, rename the DLL's/MIB's and then copy the new ones across.

cheers
rob

--
The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and may be exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.

If you read this message and are not the addressee you are notified that use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message. You should scan this message and any attached files for viruses.

Axon Computertime accepts no liability for any loss caused either directly or indirectly by a virus arising from the use of this message or any attached file.