[mrtg] Re: Please, I really need help with this

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Tue Mar 26 11:17:38 MET 2002

It really sounds like a question for the developers
list.  It makes sense that the -1 gets converted to
a +1 since MRTG does not deal with negative numbers
at all.  Have you tried delaying the threshold script
from kicking off until you've have something like 2 or
3 consecutive polls of no response?  I have no idea
if the threshold stuff can handle it.  I wrote a
script for my box that scrubs the inbox to determine
how many missed polls on a certain device I have.
Then I send my real e-mail address a note saying that
the device is having a problem.  Would that be a
solution?

You could also use an external system that interfaces
to MRTG (not ideal) to watch the MRTG stuff rather
than relying on the built-in threshold stuff.
Something like ganglia, gossips, Big Brother, or Mon.

Paul

>>> <robert.harrowfield at axon.co.nz> 03/26/02 00:34 AM >>>

please, please, please... if noone can help, do you have any suggestions of
who I may be able to talk to??

The issue I am having is both when an external script doesnt return data or
else a snmp query times out. This might be due to traffic congestion, host
downs or wan link issue. Instead of just repeating the last known entry in
the log, MRTG/rateup appears to be putting 1's into the logfile.

>From reading the mrtg script, it seems that rateup is passed a '-1' if the
data mrtg sees isnt a valid number. It then appears that rateup is writing
this into the log file as a value of '1', rather than the last known number.
I cant track the functionality of rateup as Im not very conversant with C,
but it seems to me that rateup isnt treating the '-1' as unknown data. I
would say that it is actually converting the 1 to a +1 and then adding this
data into the log as though it were a standard data entry rather than
getting the last good entry.

This then causes a large sawtooth dip in the graph and causes minimum
threshold alert scripts to be run. This is a bit of an issue as we use
minimum thresholds for diskspace available alerting and these alerts page
our oncall engineers. So, as you can see, its an issue that is causing a few
headaches.

Ive only started seeing this issue since upgrading from mrtg-2.8.11 to
2.9.18preX. The reason behind the upgrades were to help fix performance
problems caused by the number of devices that we poll with MRTG and that
most of these devices are polled via fairly slow (256k or less) WAN links. I
had gotten to the stage that the number of config files starting were
overloading the box and failing to run inside a 5 min period. The forking
and daemons really helps cut down the load!!

I cant easily downgrade to 2.8.11 as the pre-production testing didnt show
up this issue (we didnt have any host or network issues) so 2.9.18pre1 was
implemented. After that, another 4 config files with approx 30 hosts were
added to the run list, so we would be hopelessly overloaded if we
downgraded.

Other possibly useful information includes:
MRTG 2.9.18pre3
RedHat Linux 6.2 running on AlphaServer
Perl 5.00503
UCD-snmp version: 4.1.1
further details of issue, excerpts from log files and config files in email
below.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Rob.