[mrtg] Another way other than snmp to get stats?

Oscar Ricardo Silva oscars at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 6 18:00:28 MEST 2002

I'm fairly new to MRTG but I have gotten it working so that it gets
information from some Red Hat Linux machines (ucd-snmp 4.2.1).  The concern
has been raised about adding other daemons, opening up the machines for
snmp, etc.  Are there ways other than using SNMP to get information on devices?

I've seen mention of people using a stats.pl script.  My question is
whether this can be run from a central MRTG server on a remote/monitored
machine?  Can I get statistics from the machines I'm monitoring using this
script?  How would I get the script to run and to get stats back to MRTG?

Oscar