[mrtg] Re: Cisco 4006 CPU Utilisation?

Michael Grice grice at binc.net
Sat May 25 17:45:47 MEST 2002

* Maurice Wheatley <mwheatl at i-cable.com> [020525 03:39] wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know how to monitor the cpu utilisation on a Cisco 4006 switch? I tried the code I use for my router but it fails with
>
>   Warning: Expected a number but got ' '
>
> implying that the variable doesn't exist.

Off hand, I don't remember if this is one of the IOS-based switches or
one of the Catalyst OS-based switches. The IOS-based switches do allow
you to get CPU information, while last I checked the Catalyst OS-based
switches do not.

Cisco's reasoning, if I remember correctly, is that they do most of the
packet switching on a switch through the ASIC's and that the CPU is much
less important than on a router. The more you ask a switch to do
(routing, QoS, etc.), the less valid this will be, I suspect (at least
if you can't do it in hardware).
--Michael