[mrtg] Virtual port speeds

Jim Horwath jhorwath at agere.com
Wed May 29 19:19:25 MEST 2002

I have a large Frame Relay and Sonet ATM network.  All of the routers I
am monitoring via MRTG are Cisco flavored routers, with fairly current
firmware.  If I understand correctly MRTG uses the MIB value ifSpeed to
determine  circuit speed.  I have bandwidth statements on all of my
circuits, some of the speeds MRTG puts in the MaxBytes field are weird.
 I see  speeds such as 16000, 40000, etc. Most of the ifSpeed values are
empty, how does this value get set?  How does MRTG calculate  speeds?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Jim Horwath
Tools Engineer and Regular Guy