[mrtg] graphing daily values?

Jim Jones, Jr. jimjones at oct.net
Thu May 30 16:11:42 MEST 2002

We have a log file that we get 3 values out of at the end of each day.
These values are put into their own text file.  This file has only
yesterday's value.  We want one config for each value, in each config, the
single value will be used for both green and blue, simular to how most
people do cpu graphs.

Could someone help me with a config for graphing these?  I know that we'll
want it as a gauge and that instead of reading an snmp value, we'll just be
reading the files.

Since these values will only be changing once a day, is it necessary to read
the values every 5 minutes or can that be extended  out to read it just once
a day?

Since these values will only be updated after midnight, mrtg will be reading
yesterday's values... Is there a way that we can make mrtg aware of this so
that the graphs are accurate?

To help you understand what we are trying to do... we're parsing our mail
server logs for 3 values, rdeliver, ldeliver and "invalid user".  We want to
graph incoming messages, outgoing messages and number of invalid user
errors, each in their own graph.

Thanks for any help !!

Jim