[mrtg] Mrtg does not display high values of traffic correctly ??

Richard Cotrina rcc at speedy.net.pe
Thu May 30 18:22:16 MEST 2002

Hello :

I am using mrtg to monitor the traffic going and coming through a STM-1 POS
interfaz in my Cisco Router. It was working fine until the values of
incoming traffic started to be above 100Mbps.

The matter is that suddenly and without giving any errors in the log file,
the values displayed (also the graph) for the incoming traffic fall down to
very small values (a few kbps) but, in the orther hand, this does not happen
with the outgoing traffic, that remains displayed in its correct values (
it's usually not higher than 50Mbps ). This condition returns to normality
without any reason, and also when the traffic is lower than 100Mbps.

The result of this, is that my mrtg graphs shows an apparently loss of
traffic, but it is not caused by any traffic interruption, because the
outgoing traffic is displayed continously.

I was using mrtg 2.9.17 when it started to happen, then I upgraded to
2.9.18pre11 and got the same results.

Does anyone have an idea on what is going on ?  As i mentioned before, the
logs did not give me any error messages.
Do I need a special option in the mrtg config file to handle high values of
traffic correectly ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Richard Cotrina