[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Cisco Router Errors and Discards

Koelstra, J. (Jan) JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL
Mon Nov 11 10:01:08 MET 2002

Lib,

These counters are indeed cumulative.
That you should not use absolute in the options line is clear. Normally
you can say the same about using gauge in the options line. However if
you have only very few errors on your network there is something to say
for the gauge option.

Jan.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lib Curtis [mailto:lebbeus7 at lc7.net]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 11:53 PM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Monitoring Cisco Router Errors and Discards

Am I correct in assuming that ifInErrors, ifInDiscards, ifOutErrors and
ifOutDiscards on a Cisco Router are cumulative (ever incrementing)
counters
and that I should therefore not use gauge or absolute in Options []?

Thanks,

Lebbeus "Lib" Curtis VII
PO Box 7766                      (434) 975-2753 (home)
Charlottesville, Virginia 22906  (434) 981-1245 (cellular)
lebbeus7 at lc7.net                 (815) 327-6477 (eFax)