[mrtg] Re: Measuring Bandwidth Usage

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Nov 15 15:08:56 MET 2002

I think we are trying too hard here.

Set MaxBytes1 and MaxBytes2 to the appropriate up/download speeds and mrtg
by default does the rest of the work.  Unless I am missing something
blitheringly obvious.
Now, mrtg is not magic - you do need a counter somewhere.  So, if your
cablemodem has snmp support, then you can just run cfgmaker, tweak the
config with the appropriate MaxBytes1 and MaxBytes2 settings, and away you
go.  If your cablemodem doesn't have that support, then monitor the port of
the switch that you are plugged into (You do have an snmp capable switch,
right?)

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
Lan/Wan Integrator
Austin Energy