[mrtg] Re: RES: Testing testing + question.

Matt Walkowiak matt at inetdvd.com
Tue Nov 19 04:13:38 MET 2002

SNMP has nothing to do with your interfaces, directly.  I guess an ok
description of SNMP is it's like an array with keys and values.  The keys
are the OID numbers (.1.2.3.4.5.6...) and their matched up value.  When you
run cfgmaker, it uses a default OID for the bytes in and out on any
interface it finds from the device you query.  when you run snmpwalk against
a device, it will return ALL of the possible OID's (and their values, I
think).  With snmpget, you can feed in a specific OID and it will return
that OID's value.  check out the man pages of each of those programs (in
other words, RTFM - I love that phrase :)

so, the first thing you need to do (after you're sure an SNMP server is
running on the device you want to monitor) is make sure the computer you are
querying FROM can see the device you are querying.  Since you are querying a
firewall, now you really need to dig down into the system to make sure that
port (UDP:161) is allowed.  A lot of times firewalls are so explicit and
secure, they cannot talk to themselves, let alone allow another computer to
talk to it.

Once you have your device configured and responding to SNMP, run cfgmaker
against it - use all defaults.  So the cmd line would like something like
this:
./cfgmaker public at 172.16.0.1 > mrtg.cfg
that should make a file called mrtg.cfg.  If it doesn't, then check all the
above, plus community strings, which is like the password for SNMP.  There
is also the possibility that when your firewall was setup, the community
string "private" was given no privileges, or the READ,WRITE community string
was renamed.

I always recommend getting rid of a READ,WRITE community string, unless
there is a need for it.  So, have MRTG use the READ ONLY community string,
which usually defaults to "public."

Where does all this SNMP stuff get set?  In Windows NT/2000, it's under the
SNMP service in the services applet.  In the Linux world, I have no idea.
again, RTFM'ing should give you that answer.

Matt Walkowiak