[mrtg] Help Graphing Utlization and Speed

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Tue Nov 19 21:38:05 MET 2002

I've got two devices: a docsis-compliant cablemodem and a wireless access
point with an internal snmp client.  Both devices respond to an snmpwalk and
both devices provide output when processed by cfgmaker.

My problem is that I don't understand how to obtain the type of graph I am
looking for from the data that is available to me.  I have received bits and
pieces information butr cannot put it all together.

Here is what I'd like to do:

1) Graph, as a percentage, the bandwidth usage against the amount of
   bandwidth available.  I'd like to usen this graph to determine whether I
   am overloading my external internet connection or my internal wireless
   network.

2) Graph the observed upload/download speed of my cablemode, and the
   transmission speed of my wireless AP, against the maximum speed I am
   supposed to be getting.

Given a full set of snmp data, and given that cfgmaker can talk to these
devices, how do I obtain what I am looking for?

Thanks!

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman at ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com