[mrtg] Re: Cron or deamon

Ambrose Li a.c.li at ieee.org
Wed Nov 20 02:55:03 MET 2002

Back a number of months ago I tried both. My observations
(biased towards running mrtg on a "slower" machine and a
network with relatively "lighter" traffic):

The cron way to run mrtg generated graphs that are more "spiky",
I suppose because starting perl every x minutes would place a
heavier load on the system, so that's the "con" for the cron
way. The "pro" would be that you are guaranteed when the stats
are gathered.

The daemon way generated graphs that are smoother, apparently
implying that it places a much lighter load on the system -- for
a slow machine this makes perfect sense -- so that's the "pro".
The "con" is that if you restart mrtg once in a while, the stats
are gather at unequal intervals.

--
Ambrose Li  <a.c.li at ieee.org>
http://ada.dhs.org/~acli/cmcc/  http://www.cccgt.org/