[mrtg] Re: Squid Not Responding

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Fri Nov 22 20:38:08 MET 2002

Jake Colman said:

> I'm hoping that I'm just missing something obvious because this used work.
> My squid configuration is set up with the defaults for snmp monitoring and
> an acl is defined.  Like I said, months ago this worked.  When I try it
> now, mrtg gets an snmp timeout.  Any ideas what I should be checking?

first thing i'd try is check to be sure squid is listening for snmp
requests, by default it listens on UDP/3401 so I use nmap to check
to see if the port is open:

# nmap -sU -p 3401 localhost

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on debian (127.0.0.1):
Port       State       Service
3401/udp   open        unknown

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1 second

next I would try to snmpwalk:

snmpwalk -p 3401 localhost public .1.3

for me that spits out about 85 lines of values

if that works....whats the MRTG config?

nate