[mrtg] MRTG management

Meyer, Douglas S. doug at dougm.com
Tue Nov 26 02:01:58 MET 2002

Hello all,

I am a student network engineer for a large university and just took
over the task of managing MRTG stats for over 300 devices on a campus
network with 150+ buildings.

My question is:  In massive scale settings, what is the best way to
organize MRTG configurations, web pages, etc. in order to most
efficiently manage router and switch uplink statistics?  Our group would
like to get MRTG such that it produces an easy point-and-click interface
so IT managers across campus can click on their building name and see
the link usage for the switches in their building.  Indexmaker doesn't
really seem too friendly for this task unless I make a config file for
each building (150 conf files?!?!).  In this fashion, I am primarily
concerned with keeping tabs on port usage on over 300 Cisco Catalyst
switches and a couple Juniper M10 routers.  My stats box is a Dell
Optiplex GX260 running Slackware, so it's pretty beefy and fast for this
application.

I am considering migrating to RRDtool and 14all once I've got the MRTG
configs the way I want them, but right now that is a low priority, and
just getting this system to be the most functional is my main concern.

Any advice, tips, feedback, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Doug Meyer