[mrtg] Re: MRTG management

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Tue Nov 26 07:26:05 MET 2002

Meyer, Douglas S. said:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a student network engineer for a large university and just took over
> the task of managing MRTG stats for over 300 devices on a campus network
> with 150+ buildings.
>
> My question is:  In massive scale settings, what is the best way to
> organize MRTG configurations, web pages, etc. in order to most
> efficiently manage router and switch uplink statistics?  Our group would
> like to get MRTG such that it produces an easy point-and-click interface
> so IT managers across campus can click on their building name and see the
> link usage for the switches in their building.  Indexmaker doesn't really
> seem too friendly for this task unless I make a config file for each
> building (150 conf files?!?!).

in my enviornments this is what I do. 1 config file per device. I sort
them according to hostname. so for example my switch summit.aphroland.org
is accessed via mrtg.aphroland.org/summit.aphroland.org (index.html
is generated from indexmaker)

same for each of my servers, you can see my main index at mrtg.aphroland.org
that of course is manually generated.

Accessing the urls by host name is a real easy way to organize things
I think though it does take a bit of effort up front, I went through several
other schemes over the years and hostname has worked best for me.

nate