[mrtg] Logfile Question

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Thu Nov 28 18:53:04 MET 2002

We will be using MRTG to track customer bandwidth usage and therefore need
to be fairly precise in our understanding of the data that is logged.

I have read the docs but cannot apply it to the results that I am seeing in
the logfile.  As I understand it, cols 2 & 3 are the inbound/outbound
traffic averages seen between polls.  Cols 4 & 5 are then the maximum
averages seen between the intervals.

So if we are polling every 5 minutes (as shown by the increasing time value
in the log file. eg. 300 second increments) and these are recently "daily"
polled details therefore still being averaged over 5 minutes, how can there
be so much variance between columns 2&4 and 3&5.  In some instances over
twice as much traffic is detected.

1038501000 237 636 298 869
1038500700 231 1020 298 1080
1038500400 139 450 205 1080