[mrtg] 8Gbps stream creates incorrect graphs- rateup problem?

Chris Robb chrobb at indiana.edu
Sat Oct 5 16:09:49 MEST 2002

All:

I've run into this problem before with smaller 2.5Gbps streams, but we
just pushed an 8Gbps UDP stream across the country and it's really done a
number on our graphs. We're running MRTG 2.9.17. The logfiles have the
appropriate values in them, measured in bytes off Juniper routers. I
appears that rateup is barfing on the large numbers. The generated images
show a steady 4Kbps line of traffic in place of collected date. We use an
external collector script to grab the data.

I've attached the top portion of our MRTG logfile, with the problematic
portion at the bottom. The graphs are at:

http://loadrunner.uits.iu.edu/weathermaps/abilene/mrtg-data/WASHng-NYCMng/washng-nycmng.html

This is consistent across all the links that were measuring the data. In
one case, I removed the large values, reran MRTG, and the daily graph was
fixed.

I've read that the interval values in the MRTG log file are interpreted as
32-bit integers. Since we're looking at bytes, they don't come anywhere
near the 4billion-byte-per-second limit.

I'm poking through the rateup code now to see if anything jumps out at me,
but if anyone has any ideas, feel free to share. Thanks!

-Chris

Chris Robb
Indiana University Global NOC
Abilene/TransPAC Network Engineer